Why do one book review when you can do four?!

As one of my New Years Resolutions I set myself a goal to ‘always have a book on the go’ and so far, I’ve stuck to it! Granted I may not be reading every single day, but I do always have a book there to pick up when I have the time. I’d forgotten how relaxing reading was, and how much better books are than films!

It’s the beginning of May and I am already four books down, so I thought I’d share my thoughts on them, in case anyone is thinking about what books to read this year, especially if you’re going on holiday (we all love a good read on the beach or by the pool!).

I’m going to keep these reviews fairly short and sweet, A. because there are four books to get through and B. because I don’t want to give away any spoilers.

So, let’s get started…

Start Something That Matters – Blake Mycoskie
This was my first book of 2018, a Christmas present from my mum and dad (recommended by my brother). They brought it out to Thailand with them which meant I got to read it whilst laying on various beaches… tough times I know! If you haven’t read this book already you are seriously missing out and you should go out right now (after you’ve finished reading my whole blog post of course) and get it. I can honestly say there couldn’t have been a better book for me to read as my first book of the year than this one.
Blake Mycoskie is the man behind TOMS shoes and in the book he talks about his journey and story from first creating TOMS to where the company is now. He also talks about his ‘One for One’ business model, which I didn’t know about before reading this book, where for every pair of TOMS shoes that are sold, a pair of shoes are donated to a child in need.
I know I’m only 26 years old, but I wish I would have read this book in school. In fact, I think they should make that a thing. For anyone wanting to be more entrepreneurial or even someone who just wants to make a difference in the world, this is the book for you. It’s so inspiring and really gets you thinking. It even made me decide that another of my New Years Resolutions this year would be to ‘start something that matters’. I’ll keep you updated with that!
Then She Was Gone – Lisa Jewell
Now this is one twisted book… I actually think it would make a great film! It’s basically about a woman whose daughter went missing ten years ago. Still no closer to knowing what happened to her daughter, she comes across a single father with a daughter who looks scarily familiar… and so unfolds one crazy story. It’s hard to properly review this book without spoilers so I’m not going to do that. All I will say is that you need to read this book! I really enjoyed reading this, it brings about emotions you didn’t think you would have… I cried at the end, feeling sorry for someone who I felt I shouldn’t.


The Couple Next Door – Shari Lapena
Strap yourselves in because you’re in for a crazy ride when reading this book! You really won’t want to put it down until it’s done. It’s about a couple who appear to have it all, love, a nice house, and a beautiful baby. That is until they decide to leave the baby at home whilst they go to a dinner party next door and their baby goes missing! They’d been taking it in turns to check on her every half hour and had the baby monitor with them but between their last check and getting home, the baby has gone. The rest of the book follows the suspicion and investigation, as they try to uncover where the baby is and who took her. There are so many twists and turns in this book that you definitely won’t get bored!
For me the ending was a little disappointing, but the book is definitely worth a read because it truly catches your attention from the get go and keeps you on your toes throughout.
Me Before You - JoJo Moyes
I’d heard lots of good things about this book so I couldn’t wait to read it. It’s about a girl - Louisa (Lou) Clark – whose very cheerful and little different but who seems to just be living day-to-day, without much drive or passion, simply working to earn money to help her family out. She’s put to the test when she starts a new job caring for Will Traynor, a once successful banker, who was left paralyzed from an accident a couple of years previous. Louisa tasks herself with changing Will’s outlook on life. They forge a bond no one expects, which changes their lives forever.
I honestly couldn’t put this book down, you get so involved and connected to the characters and I love that this book is part of a trilogy - I can’t wait to read the other two books.
I’d seriously recommend reading this book before watching the film. I did, and I was massively disappointed with the film, which is normally the case because I always find books way better than their movie counterpart. When I watched this film the cast weren’t how I imagined the characters to be and parts of the book were changed/missed out in the film which I didn’t like. Obviously, I still cried at the film as I did the book, but that’s just because I’m an emotional person… I get it from my mama!
I’m currently reading ‘Lean In’ by Sheryl Sandberg, and I’ve got a healthy pile of even more books to get through, so I’ll probably do another book review blog post later in the year once I’ve got through a few more.
What are you currently reading?
Who's your favourite author?


Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading "Me Before You" a couple of years ago, I am happy to read that you did too. "Then She Was Gone" sounds like a great read, I need to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good isn't it, and wayyyy better than the film! Yes definitely read 'Then She Was Gone', it's gripping! x

      Delete
  2. I read The Couple Next Door on holiday last year, and I wasn't impressed with the ending either, I wanted there to be something more after how good the book was throughout.. 🙄 Then She Was Gone sounds like something I would love though, I'm going to keep an eye out for that when I'm next in town! 🙊

    Andi | www.andthenzen.co.uk ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then She Was Gone is a great read, definitely try to check it out! x

      Delete
  3. I am always looking for new books to read and some of these sound pretty great! Will have to pick them up, thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Me Before You but I felt the same about the film I hate it when the change parts of the story line for no reason! Both of the crime/mystery thrillers you've included sound amazing so I'm off to add them to my wishlist right now, thanks for the recommendations lovely!

    Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying isn't it, and they're usually the bits that really make the story! Yes they're really good and well worth a read :) you're welcome! xx

      Delete
  5. You’ve totally convinced me to pick up Start Something That Matters, it sounds like such an uplifting read that will really inspire me to make a positive change to the world! I made the mistake of watching Me Before You before reading the book but still adored reading the novel!
    Zara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss definitely do it's an amazing book! Awh no, I'm so glad I did it the other way round although at least you still read the book and got to see the story in all it's awesomeness! xx

      Delete
  6. I couldn't put down Me Before You either when I read it! I loved the book so much, I couldn't help but cry at the ending of the book! Haha. Can always tell it's a good book that really pulls you in with connecting to the characters when stuff like that happens! I've read the 2nd one and am currently reading the 3rd one. It's sooo good. I can't wait to keep reading this one and see how it goes!

    Amy,
    https://creativenails.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, I get so involved with the characters that it feels like I'm watching a film rather than reading a book! I really need to read the next 2 asap! xx

      Delete
  7. Start Something That Matters is an absolute must, it is very inspirational :) Also, Me Before You the book is like 100x better than the film so definitely read that too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I didn't even realise there was a book version of me before you! This film is one of my favourites and I watch it alll the time (and yes, I do cry every time haha!). It's shocked me that the film didn't live up to expectations, I definitely need to get this book and read it!!

    Sarah | http://www.sazsinclair.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% give the book a read if you like the film, you'll enjoy the story even more afterwards! x

      Delete
  9. These all look so good, I've read Me Before You which I loved and will definitely try the others. My favourite author is Sally Gardener and I just finished reading An Almond For A Parrot which was utterly amazing definitely give that a read x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo I've not heard of that book, I'll definitely give it a read, thank you so much for the recommendation! x

      Delete
  10. Ahhh so many I need to try! I'm looking for some cosy reads ahead of autumn and loved reading your thoughts on these :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (I would love to follow each other on bloglovin if you like :D)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learnt from travelling...

Rebuilding My Summer Wardrobe